DCA is seeking a casual Life Stories Program Deaf Role Model based in Queensland. Please see the job listing below, and download the position description here. Applications close 5 PM on 24 November.
- Providing positive adult role modeling to families raising a child who is deaf or hard of hearing in Queensland
- Casual, paid position, flexible hours
- Statewide program seeking adult role models located across regional Qld. in areas including Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Townsville, Cairns
Deaf Children Australia is a national not for profit organisation that provides a range of information, services and programs.The mission of DCA is to;
Inspire and empower deaf and hard of hearing children and young people to reach their full potential.
DCA invites applications from adults (over 18 years) who have a permanent, childhood onset hearing loss, including those with mild, moderate severe and profound unilateral or bilateral hearing loss, who are interested in providing positive role modelling and sharing their life stories with families who have a child with a hearing loss aged between 0-12 years
We are seeking adults who have grown up with a hearing loss, who are willing to share with families their life experiences, knowledge, tips and strategies with parents raising a child with a hearing loss aged between 0-12 years.
This is a statewide program and we are presently seeking applicants located in regional areas across Queensland.
This is a casual, paid position, which will be responsible for:
- Operating within training guidelines to provide a positive role model to families with whom you are matched
- Providing information about your life experiences, and what it means to grow up with a hearing loss.
- Helping the child and family develop positive attitudes about deafness, broaden their understanding of deafness from the perspective of lived experience, and increase knowledge of helpful tips and strategies.
- Responding to each family’s needs for support and sharing life experiences in a non-biased manner, respecting family values, culture and communication choice
- Returning required statistics and documentation
- Attending training and supervision as required
- Able to commit to the program for a minimum of 12 months
Have a hearing loss since childhood
Aged over 18 years
Positive and flexible attitude towards deafness and life in general
Capable of delivering unbiased information (respectful of family values, culture and choice of communication method)
Understanding of confidentiality
Current driver’s licence
Able to work occasional weekends and out of business hours
Able to commit to at least 12 months in this role
Able to provide references
This is a great opportunity to become involved with an organisation whose vision is to:
“Create a world where children and young people who are deaf or hard of hearing have every opportunity to achieve positive life outcomes”.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a Police Check and Working with Children Check.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Rosy Bratt at email@example.com
Telephone (07) 3607 0072 or email Rosy if you have require any further information.
Applications close 5 pm on Friday the 24th November 2017.
Deaf Children Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer