Deaf Children Australia is seeking nominations for Directors to fill three vacancies on our Board.
Who we are
Deaf Children Australia is a not-for-profit organisation with a proud 150 year history that strives to provide children and young people who are deaf or hard of hearing, and their families, with the opportunities and skills to face life’s challenges and to celebrate their potential. We also provide Disability Employment Services to a range of clients including those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
We work hard to promote opportunities for families and children to:
- access unbiased information,
- become more connected with each other,
- participate in peer to peer support,
- access community, recreational and youth activities,
- engage individually tailored support,
- access opportunities provided through the NDIS,
- receive support in achieving inclusion, and pursuing educational and career opportunities, and to
- develop skills in advocacy
What we are looking for
Our current Board comprises a broad range of skills and experience, including deaf and hard of hearing individuals and parents of deaf children. All Board meetings are fully accessible with live captioning and interpreters. We are seeking Board members who have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- a lived experience of being deaf or hard of hearing
- an understanding of the issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing children, youth and their families
- Marketing or fundraising
- Governance in a not-for-profit organisation
What we ask of Board members
Each Board member plays a part in ensuring good governance of the organisation, overseeing the strategic direction and budgeting, and ensuring compliance with legal requirements.
- Board members are elected for a 3 year term
- Board meetings are held approximately 8 times a year
- Board members are asked to contribute to a Board committee of their choice
What to do next
If you would like to apply to be on the Board of Deaf Children Australia, please fill out the nomination form, attach your CV or skills statement and return to Angela Woodruff, Company Secretary by 8 November 2017.
If you would like to know more or attend an information session in late October (with live captions and interpreting upon request) please let Angela know by 9 October via email at email@example.com
All Nominations must be received by 5pm AEST – 8 November 2017.
To: Deaf Children Australia Company Secretary
Mail: PO Box 6466
Melbourne Vic 8008
Fax: 03 9525 2595
View the Auslan video below.